The Myer Innovation Fellowship program provides support to individuals rather than organisations. The program seeks exceptional leaders across all sectors (private, public and non-profit) and from all types of professional backgrounds. We are looking for the powerful combination of the break-through idea and the capacity of the applicant to bring it to fruition.
We seek ideas that are
- High impact: likely to produce results in the areas of Poverty & Disadvantage, Sustainability & the Environment, and/or Human, Civil and Legal Rights
- Unique: different from existing approaches
- Scalable and sustainable: the potential to scale up quickly and be sustainable over time
And leaders who are
- Experienced and entrepreneurial: a proven track record of achievement in their field and an appetite for risk-taking
- Passionate and connected: a genuine commitment and passion for their cause and the network to make it happen
What is Offered
This program will provide these outstanding individuals with freedom from their day jobs to:
- Open productive new lines of inquiry
- Ask provocative questions
- Challenge conventional wisdom
- Develop new ideas, approaches, and strategies.
Fellows will each receive $120,000 for their 12-month commitment to the program and an additional $30,000 will be available to each Fellow for approved expenses such as work space, rent, travel and contracting of external expertise.
What are the Eligibility Criteria?
The applicant must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in Australia for the majority of the Fellowship period
- Be prepared to take a sabbatical from their current role for 12 months
- Have a proven track record of risk-taking, out-of-the-box thinking
- Have an ability to turn ideas into action
- Have well-developed networks within an area of the proposed project.
The proposed project must:
- Be based in Australia
- Be aligned with one or more of the subject areas of Poverty and Disadvantage, Sustainability and the Environment, and Human, Civil and Legal Rights
- Have been in development for not longer than three years.
What are the Funding Exclusions?
The Myer Innovation Fellowships program will not support the following:
- Benefits or fundraising events
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- Ongoing or one-off academic research or work towards higher degrees (including by coursework or dissertations)
- Medical research
- Initiatives focused on specific diseases
- International projects
- Funding hubs or accelerators
- Creative arts projects
- Collaborations between a number of individuals
- Projects that are focused on program or service delivery
- Projects that have been in development for more than three years
|Expressions of Interest open||19 June 2020|
|Expressions of Interest close||Midnight EST 16 August 2020|
|Shortlisted candidates invited to prepare a detailed application||Week beginning 30 November 2020|
|Closing date for detailed applications from shortlisted applicants||Midnight EDST, 10 January 2021|
|Interviews for selected candidates||February 2021|
|Confirmation of 2021 Myer Innovation Fellows||March 2021|
It is anticipated that the 2021 Myer Innovation Fellows will commence in May 2021.