Who Should Apply?
The Myer Innovation Fellowship program provides support to individuals rather than organisations. The program seeks exceptional leaders across all sectors (private, public and non-profit) and from all types of professional backgrounds. For us, the idea is king. We will consider both quality of the break-through idea and the capacity of the applicant to implement this idea.
We seek ideas that are
- High impact: likely to produce results in the areas of Education, Poverty & Disadvantage, and/or Sustainability & the Environment
- Unique: different from existing approaches
- Scalable and sustainable: the potential to scale up quickly and be sustainable over time
And leaders who are
- Experienced and entrepreneurial: a proven track record of achievement in their field and an appetite for risk-taking
- Passionate and connected: a genuine commitment and passion for their cause and the network to make it happen
What is Offered
This program will provide these outstanding individuals with freedom from their day jobs to:
- Open productive new lines of inquiry
- Ask provocative questions
- Challenge conventional wisdom
- Develop new ideas, approaches, and strategies.
Fellows will each receive $100,000 for their twelve month commitment to the program and an additional $30,000 will be available to each Fellow for approved expenses such as work space, rent, travel and contracting of external expertise.
What are the Eligibility Criteria?
The applicant must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in Australia for the majority of the Fellowship period
- Be prepared to take a sabbatical from their current role for twelve months
- Have a proven track record of risk-taking, out-of-the-box thinking
- Have an ability to turn ideas into action
- Have well-developed networks within an area of the proposed project.
The proposed project must:
- Be based in Australia
- Be aligned with one or more of the three The Myer Foundation’s and Sidney Myer Fund’s program areas of Education, Poverty and Disadvantage, and Sustainability and the Environment
- Have been in development for not longer than three years.
What are the Funding Exclusions?
Through this program we will not fund:
- Benefits or fundraising events
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- Dissertation research
- International projects
- Specific diseases
- Medical research
- Creative arts projects
- Collaborations between a number of individuals
- Projects that have been in development for more than three years
Expressions of Interest for 2018 Fellowships are now closed. Shortlisted (and unsuccessful) applicants have been notified.
Shortlisted applicants are required to submit a full application by 14 January 2018. Shortlisted and unsuccessful applicants for interview will be notified of the outcome in the week beginning 5 February 2018.
Finalists will be interviewed in the week beginning 12 February 2018.
We expect to finalise the selection process in early March 2018.
The Fellows will be selected by the Myer Innovation Fellowship Committee and approved by The Myer Foundation Directors and Sidney Myer Fund Trustees.
We expect the 2018 cohort of Fellows to commence the program in June 2018.
Three Myer Innovation Fellows will be selected each year.