The Myer Innovation Fellowship program provides support to individuals rather than organisations. The program seeks exceptional leaders across all sectors (private, public and non-profit) and from all types of professional backgrounds. We are looking for the powerful combination of the break-through idea and the capacity of the applicant to bring it to fruition.
We seek ideas that are
- High impact: likely to produce results in the areas of Education, Poverty & Disadvantage, and/or Sustainability & the Environment
- Unique: different from existing approaches
- Scalable and sustainable: the potential to scale up quickly and be sustainable over time
And leaders who are
- Experienced and entrepreneurial: a proven track record of achievement in their field and an appetite for risk-taking
- Passionate and connected: a genuine commitment and passion for their cause and the network to make it happen
What is Offered
This program will provide these outstanding individuals with freedom from their day jobs to:
- Open productive new lines of inquiry
- Ask provocative questions
- Challenge conventional wisdom
- Develop new ideas, approaches, and strategies.
Fellows will each receive $120,000 for their 12-month commitment to the program and an additional $30,000 will be available to each Fellow for approved expenses such as work space, rent, travel and contracting of external expertise.
What are the Eligibility Criteria?
The applicant must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Reside in Australia for the majority of the Fellowship period
- Be prepared to take a sabbatical from their current role for twelve months
- Have a proven track record of risk-taking, out-of-the-box thinking
- Have an ability to turn ideas into action
- Have well-developed networks within an area of the proposed project.
The proposed project must:
- Be based in Australia
- Be aligned with one or more of the subject areas of Education, Poverty and Disadvantage, Sustainability and the Environment, and Human, Civil and Legal Rights
- Have been in development for not longer than three years.
What are the Funding Exclusions?
Through this program we will not fund:
- Benefits or fundraising events
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- Dissertation research
- International projects
- Specific diseases
- Medical research
- Creative arts projects
- Collaborations between a number of individuals
- Projects that have been in development for more than three years
Expressions of Interest for the 2020 Fellowships are now being assessed.
|Expressions of Interest open||21 June 2019|
|Expressions of Interest close||Midnight EST 18 August 2019|
|Shortlisted candidates invited to prepare a detailed application||Week beginning 2 December 2019|
|Closing date for detailed applications from shortlisted applicants||Midnight EDST, 12 January 2020|
|Interviews for selected candidates||11 and 12 February 2020|
|Confirmation of 2020 Myer Innovation Fellows||March 2020|
It is anticipated that the 2020 Myer Innovation Fellows will commence in May 2020.